Sunday, October 14, 2012

Provisioning

Jennifer (The Pearl)

Ahoy! Buccaneer and I are anchored at North Fork River in Stuart, Florida. There has been a gusty Northern wind causing the ICW to a bit boisterous. We are tucked safely in the lee of the land.

During our first month here I have been provisioning the boat with food, toiletries, paper goods and items to make Kluane more comfortable. Betsy asked for more photos of where and how we store items in a small space- Thanks Betsy! Under both the port and starboard settees in the salon there are compartments for cans, packages and jars. The posts and books I have read guided me to buy our favorite American products- peanut butter, pizza crusts, teas, crackers, protein powder. Eggs, flour, rice, beans- simple staples will be available most places. I created a spreadsheet (yes seriously, Mom) to track what is in each compartment. This will help manage our stores along the way! Our eating has changed- for the absolute better- since being away. We eat most- I'd say 99%-of meals in. Last night we had pasta with garlic chicken, zucchini, peppers and onions with salad. Yum! As we use items, I write them down and when we plan a shopping run- we put the dingy in the water and walk to the grocery once on shore. I am enjoying the time to cook and keeping track of our favorite recipes.

More to come on the dinghy and the refrigerator in future posts.

Time for lunch!

The Pearl

No comments:

Post a Comment