Monday, October 29, 2012

A Visitor Named Sandy

50 Plus Knots Wind Courtesy of Sandy

Cliff (The Buccanneer)

The Pearl and I (and Kluane of course) had an unwelcome visitor, Sandy.  That's Hurricane Sandy now bearing down on New Jersey, New York and many more states that may not feel so new in the coming days.  Before I continue, let's wish everyone well in the coming days.

The photo above shows our "protected" anchorage in the grip of winds reaching 50-60 knots. We were very lucky to have been protected from the 20-30 foot seas that raged in the off shore waters during Sandy's passage.  In reality, we were never closer than 150 miles to Sandy's center, but with a storm this size, tropical storm winds reached out for over 400 miles!

As Sandy approached, we decided to remain on board and do our best to protect ourselves (of course) and to protect our floating home, Kluane.  Working for two days we stripped sails, canvas, BBQ grills and anything else that was likely to blow away.  To secure Kluane we opted for a two anchor setup that worked well.  At no time did we drag (dragging at anchor is a huge drag) or break free.  There was one smaller sailboat that did break loose.  With luck and hard work, the captain was able to re secure himself and his vessel.

With the storm well past us (we are in Lake Worth, West Palm Beach), the wind continues to blow 20-25 knots.  Normally this wind would keep us on our toes.  Presently, we are relaxing, eating pizza and enjoying the relative calm.

FYI - if you have specific questions, please let me/us know.  I love boats, sailing, weather - anything to do with cruising.  I could go on (and will) about anything that interests you.  Just let me know.

Thanks for being concerned.  Thanks for tuning in.  Know that we miss you all a great deal and think about you daily.

A Humble and Tired Buccaneer,
Cliff

Jennifer (The Pearl)

First off I want to CONGRATULATE my sister, Sarah and her fiance Brian- they are engaged! I love you both!

Yesterday Buccaneer and I walked to MacArthur State Beach Park about 1.5 miles away to check out the ocean.  What did we find?  Much of the beach has been taken out to sea, garbage in the form of wood from docks/decks with twisted 12" inch stainless steel hardware, plastic trash, a canister of Freon and a 2" line from very large ship.  The waves were breaking 1/2 mile out.  I learned the bigger the wave the farther out it breaks- so maybe they were 20' feet tall!  I tried to capture the size of the waves, know they were HUGE and very powerful- a cauldron if you will!  Over the past 2 months I have learned a lot about weather, knowing experience is the best teacher, but not knowing I would get such a real education.  Tides, wave size and timing, wind direction and strength, swell, barometric pressure and of course, how a tropical depression becomes a hurricane.  Overall, I have learned to respect Mother Nature- she is strong, powerful, beautiful and does not discriminate.

Buccaneer and I are in a local pizza shop watching the footage from New Jersey, New York etc- my hope is that folks have been listening and have prepared for the storm.  Whether she is a frankenstorm or not, she is to be respected.  Be safe and be good neighbors.

Thankful for My Incredible Captain (and Love) and All the Good Thoughts from Family & Friends!
The Pearl

Buccaneer on the deck that leads to the beach- notice the handrail is below his knee full of sand

The McArthur Beach State Park Beach on Sunday

The wave action- notice the mutiple layers of "crash"




1 comment:

  1. I am so enjoying these postings. Makes me so want to be there. I am glad you were safe from Sandy. She has been a horror to New York--and actually the kids in Buffalo were off school for at least 1 day. The eastern seaboard took it bad. The subways are submerged! It will be quite a few days before they will be back in operation--even wall street was closed. You probably know all this but just incase---Darlyne

    ReplyDelete